Studios at MASS MoCA Residency Opportunity for Artists in Puerto Rico
Application Deadline: January 10, 2019, 5:00pm. No application fee. (We also welcome applications in Spanish, but it's a bit easier for us to review applications in English. To apply in Spanish, click HERE.)
The Studios at MASS MoCA invites artists in Puerto Rico to apply for 4-week residencies. We plan to select at least 4 artists from Puerto Rico. The normal residency fee will be waived, and additional support will be provided for travel and meals.
Participating artists will receive:
- A private studio in attractive space on MASS MoCA’s re-purposed mill campus, with generous natural light, 24-hour studio access, a work table and chair in each studio, and shared slop sinks and bathrooms.
- Housing across the street from the museum, in nicely renovated apartments (private bedroom/Queen bed + shared kitchen and bath). These are lovely apartments, but note that it’s communal living (4 people to an apartment) in an active downtown location -- sensitive sleepers be advised.
- $800 stipend to assist with airfare and ground transportation costs to/from MASS MoCA.
- One communal meal per day, in the company of other artists-in-residence.
- A stipend of $100 per week to help pay for groceries and miscellaneous expenses.
- MASS MoCA member benefits for the duration of the residency, including free access to the museum’s galleries and discounts on performing arts events and museum store purchases.
- Optional one-on-one artist-focused financial and business coaching through the staff of MASS MoCA’s Assets for Artists program (www.assetsforartists.org), helping artists and writers in all disciplines strengthen the business side of their artistic practice.
Eligibility: We welcome applications from any artists whose primary residence is Puerto Rico. We encourage artists at all career stages, income levels, and disciplines (painters, sculptors, installation artists, writers, fiber artists, printmakers, performers, designers, photographers, filmmakers, etc.) to consider applying. Applicants must have an art practice that allows them to work quietly (no loud power tools may be used in the studios, and no music out loud – headphones only). The studios have light-duty ventilation, so an art practice generating strong fumes cannot be accommodated.
Fee: There is no fee to apply, and the normal $650/week full-price fee will be waived for the selected artists, and additional assistance will be provided for travel and meals.