THE STUDIOS AT MASS MoCA WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTING FELLOWSHIP APPLICATIONS FOR THE SUMMER/FALL 2021 SEASON
Due to the number of residencies we had to reschedule as a result of COVID-19, we will not be accepting general applications to the Studios at MASS MoCA for the Summer/Fall 2021 season. Applications will only be accepted from those writers and artists who qualify for one of our specific, fully funded fellowships.
You can learn if you qualify for one of these fellowships on our Financial Aid webpage.
If you are not applying for one of these fellowships, we invite you to either submit an Early Application for our 2022 session (deadline January 8, 2021 -- and note that Early Applications do not include financial aid/fellowship opportunities) or check back in May 2021 when the regular residency application (plus even more fellowships and partial financial aid opportunities) will be available for residencies occurring during the Winter/Spring 2022.
FOR RESIDENCY FELLOWSHIPS APPLICANTS ONLY:
MASS MoCA and its Assets for Artists program invites artists and writers to apply for residencies from 2 week to 8 weeks in length (although each fellowship has a different length of covered funding).
Residents (12 per session*) will receive:
- A private studio in attractive space on MASS MoCA’s re-purposed mill campus, with generous natural light, 24-hour studio access, a work table and chair in each studio, and shared slop sinks and bathrooms.
- Housing across the street from the museum, in newly renovated apartments (private bedroom/Queen bed + shared kitchen and bath). These are lovely apartments, but note that it’s communal living (4 people to an apartment*) in an active downtown location -- sensitive sleepers be advised.
- One communal meal per day, in the company of other artists-in-residence.
- Free access to printmaking and weaving equipment in the Studios, offering shared use of a roller etching press, hydraulic flatbed press, 22-inch Harrisville loom, and 48-inch Herald loom.
- MASS MoCA member benefits for the duration of the residency, including free access to the museum’s galleries and discounts on performing arts events and museum store purchases.
- Optional one-on-one artist-focused financial and business coaching through the staff of MASS MoCA’s Assets for Artists program, helping artists and writers in all disciplines strengthen the business side of their artistic practice.
Click here for additional details on studios, housing and equipment.
Eligibility: Each fellowship has its own unique eligibility requirements. Please visit our Fellowships/Financial Aid page for details. The Studios at MASS MoCA welcomes applications from artists in all career stages, income levels, and disciplines (painters, sculptors, installation artists, fiber artists, printmakers, writers, performers, designers, photographers, filmmakers, etc.) whose practice allows them to work quietly (nothing is sound-proofed, so power tools and loud music are discouraged). Groups/collectives may apply to work on joint projects. The studios have light-duty ventilation, so an art practice generating strong fumes cannot be accommodated.
Cost: All listed fellowships are fully funded. No fees are charged, but the artist is responsible for their own travel, supplies, and food costs while in residence (one meal per day is supplied).
*HOW THE STUDIOS AT MASS MoCA RESIDENCY IS CONTENDING WITH COVID-19
Much remains uncertain about how we can safely conduct ourselves in what we hope to be the final months of the pandemic. After a period of shutdown, the Studios at MASS MoCA reopened on July 15, 2020 at partial capacity in order to allow for appropriate social distancing in the shared apartments. We will remain at limited capacity through the beginning of 2021, or until it is safe to resume our regular, full programming. Our scheduling for Summer/Fall 2021 will remain flexible. If you are accepted for a residency that later has to be canceled due to safety or health concerns, the Studios will honor that acceptance and find an appropriate date to reschedule your time at MASS MoCA if you wish to reschedule.