Massachusetts-based artists are invited to apply for a free 4-week residency at the Studios at MASS MoCA from Jan. 29 to Feb. 25, 2020.
Applications must be received by Thursday, June 20, 2019, at 11:59 PM.
The applications will be reviewed by a jury consisting of MASS MoCA staff and artists, and the selected winners will receive a free 4-week residency that includes the following:
- A private studio in attractive space on MASS MoCA’s mill campus, with generous natural light, 24-hour studio access, a work table and chair in each studio, and shared slop sinks and bathrooms.
- Housing across the street from the museum, with private bedroom/Queen bed + shared kitchen and bath). These are lovely apartments, but note that it’s communal living (4 people to an apartment) in an active downtown location -- sensitive sleepers be advised.
- One communal meal per day.
- MASS MoCA member benefits for the duration of the residency, including free access to the museum’s galleries and discounts on performing arts events and museum store purchases.
- Free access to printmaking and weaving equipment in the Studios, offering shared use of a roller etching press, hydraulic flatbed press, 22-inch Harrisville loom, and 48-inch Herald loom.
- Group workshops with artist-experts on personal finance and career development, and optional one-on-one assistance with financial planning and goal-setting.
Eligibility: Applicants (who must be based in Massachusetts) may be of any age, income level, and discipline (painters, sculptors, fiber artists, printmakers, performers, designers, photographers, filmmakers, writers, etc.). The studios have no sound-proofing, and only light-duty ventilation, so an art practice generating loud noise or strong fumes cannot be accommodated. There are no income-based restrictions.
Dates: The selected artist(s) must be available to register for at least 2 weeks, and up to 4 weeks, from Jan. 29 to Feb. 25, 2020.
Cost: The full value of the 4-week residency at the Studios at MASS MoCA is more than $650 per week. The artists selected for this opportunity will receive a full fee waiver. Applicants will be responsible for their own travel costs, artistic materials, and meals (other than one group meal per day provided by MASS MoCA) while in residence. (There's daily Peter Pan bus service -- about a 6-hour trip -- from Boston to North Adams. No vehicle is required once you are in North Adams. Key amenities -- grocery store, pharmacies, restaurants, post office, library, gym, etc. -- are all located a short distance from MASS MoCA.)
The fee waiver for Massachusetts artists is made possible by the Barr Foundation.