Application for Residency Sessions from April 3, 2019 - October 8, 2019
Application Deadline: January 7, 2019 5:00pm. No application fee
MASS MoCA invites artists and writers to apply for residencies from 1 week to 8 weeks in length.
Residents (8 per session) will receive:
- A private studio in attractive space on MASS MoCA’s re-purposed mill campus, with generous natural light, 24-hour studio access, plywood floors, a work table and chair in each studio, and shared slop sinks and bathrooms.
- Housing across the street from the museum, in newly renovated apartments (private bedroom/Queen bed + shared kitchen and bath). These are lovely apartments, but note that it’s communal living (4 people to an apartment) in an active downtown location -- sensitive sleepers be advised.
- One communal meal per day, in the company of other artists-in-residence.
- MASS MoCA member benefits for the duration of the residency, including free access to the museum’s galleries and discounts on performing arts events and museum store purchases.
- Optional one-on-one artist-focused financial and business coaching through the staff of MASS MoCA’s Assets for Artists program (www.assetsforartists.org), helping artists and writers in all disciplines strengthen the business side of their artistic practice.
Eligibility: We welcome applications from artists in all career stages, income levels, and disciplines (painters, sculptors, installation artists, fiber artists, printmakers, writers, performers, designers, photographers, filmmakers, etc.) whose practice allows them to work quietly (no power tools in the private studios, and no music out loud – headphones only). Groups/collectives may apply to work on joint projects. The studios have light-duty ventilation, so an art practice generating strong fumes cannot be accommodated.
Full Cost: $650/week
Financial Aid: All applicants will be considered for subsidies based on artistic merit, readiness to benefit from the residency, and financial need.